Sunday, February 5, 2012

Why I Love The Day of the Dead

I have always been a fan of Mexican arts and crafts. I spent all my childhood summers in a trailer park a couple of miles north of Ensenada. (And, WOW, do I feel old looking at this photo of our 1960 Pontiac Bonneville Safari, the family station wagon! I learned to drive in that boat!)
The trailer park, King's Coronita, (it's still there!)
 At the end of the road there was a gift shop called El Nuevo Nopal, where I spent many an hour staring at everything item in the store, but I was particularly enamored of the handmade toys and arts and crafts. I always loved the miniatures, especially the Dia de los Muertos dioramas. I thought they were so cool and funny, and I still do!
I love putting my spin on this wonderful traditional theme, and I believe that the sentiment behind the holiday is so touching and so respectful of those who have passed. But it is also a celebration and there is a lot of fun and healing involved in remembering and honoring our deceased loved ones by preparing and eating their favorite foods and drinks, bringing out their photos and mementos, and celebrating their lives.
In my Day of the Dead work, I like to depict my skeletons in the ever after, still hanging out, going about their business, enjoying themselves and still having some fun. This year I also plan to explore using other clays, like paper clay and self hardening clay and expanding my horizons a bit by trying my hand at doll making. I love dolls and I’m excited about learning more about this art. I’ll try to share what I learn as I go along. I also find so many interesting artists, from Halloween artists, Day of the Dead artists and doll artists that inspire me, I would like to share some of their work here on my blog. Thanks for stopping by and checking out my new venture!
One of My Day of the Dead Wedding Cake Toppers
                                     

6 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to follow your blog! The picture of the Bonneville just brought back a flood of happy memories~now that was a car. Keep creating, my friend, your talent knows no limits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marla,
    Thanks so much for your support and your kind comments! I know, that car, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are these for sale? And if so, where? Love all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for taking a look at my blog and for asking about my work! Most of my work is custom made so if you are interested in a particular piece send me an email and we can talk about the details! I'm Tamra at tamra@claylindo.com

      Delete
  4. You know I love your work - I'll never have enough of it! Excited that you have a blog and a face book page now! Gayle Landry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gayle, thanks so much for checking out the blog! As always, I so appreciate your support!

    ReplyDelete